- Barbara talks about how her business helps solves the problem of outsourcing for entrepreneurs. She says she sees too many people get caught up in their branding. She says the NUMBER 1 thing you have to focus on is sales. You want to solve the pain point that exists for your client today. Don’t just focus on your brand story, graphics, etc. focus on those sales, and early on dip your toes into outsourcing.
- Business is messy. Barbara says that the most successful businesses just go out and sell. They don’t have the perfect branding and website at the beginning. And guess what? You can always change those things. But the thing you want to focus on at first is selling something your clients need. Sell, sell, sell.
- Make fast decisions. Barbara says that the best entrepreneurs don’t sit on every step and wait. They decide in a moment that something isn’t working, and move forward. You have to dig under things, and stay on your toes. Don’t get stuck on the little steps. Keep pushing.
- Barbara talks about the first thing you should delegate out of your business is social media. You don’t want to get sucked into being perfect on social media. Instead, you want to just post and get stuff out there!
- Before you get a VA or hire out work, you need to form a structure of what exactly you want to delegate out in your business. She suggests listing out everything even the smallest steps that you do in your business. Write it all out, and how you like it to be done. Then you have to decide what of all those tasks you want to be delegated to a VA. Communication is KEY!
- At the end of the day, building a company involves systematizing, delegating, evolving, and refining continuously! It’s HARD WORK that Barbara says takes a lot of self evaluation. It has to be a constant focus and priority in order for it to grow.
- (2:01) A little more about Barbara.
- (2:32) Barbara’s business: what is it and who do they help?
- (3:08) How did Barbara set up an entire business in the Philippines without even living there?
- (4:51) Why you NEED to outsource.
- (8:15) Business is messy. Barbara’s advice on growth.
- (9:39) The first people Barbara hired when she first started outsourcing.
- (10:53) What are some of the first steps Barbara took to get her business off the ground?
- (13:10) Barbara’s systems that she uses in her business.
- (15:44) What should be delegated in your business first?
- (17:21) The number one mistake Barbara sees entrepreneurs making when hiring somebody.
- (18:17) Key steps you should take before hiring a VA or outsourcing work.
- (19:40) How to successfully onboard somebody.
- (21:46) What are some things to be aware of if you’re outsourcing internationally.
- (24:17) Why you need to systematize, delegate, evolve, and refine continuously.
- (26:30) How did Barbara build a big business without being in it all the time.
- (28:29) How Barbara balances mom life with entrepreneur life.
- (30:02) The best book Barbara has ever read.
- (31:08) What does it mean to Barbara to make an impact?
- (32:50) What’s next for Barbara Turley?
- (34:29) Where can you connect with Barbara?
“You want to solve the pain point that exists for your client today.”
“It’s not as easy as people think.”
“You can have control, or you can have growth, but you can’t have both.”
“Business is messy.”
“Sell something, and figure it out as you grow.”
“Successful entrepreneurs make fast decisions.”
“You’ve gotta start getting comfortable with things not being perfect.”
“Systematize, delegate, evolve, and refine continuously.”
“You need to be the one who’s the conductor of the orchestra.”
“I do believe that you can build an amazing company that changes lives, and has mission and vision without destroying yourself.”
Connect with Barbara Turley
Other Resources Talked About In The Episode
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change by Stephen R. Covey
- Built to Sell: Creating a Business That Can Thrive Without You by John Warrillow