Episode 46 Show Notes
Today’s episode is all about scaling your business, and putting in systems and processing. It isn’t the sexiest topic out there, but it truly is something you NEED to do. We’re talking with Emily Allen, a virtual COO, and certified project manager. She’s taken on the task of turning overburdened entrepreneurs into fearless leaders.
- Emily says to be conscious of where you want to go as an entrepreneur. Break it down to the year, than the quarter, and then down to how you can really get what you want to done.
- A COO is for a visionary entrepreneur. Someone who has all the ideas, but needs strategy on how to get it all done and integrate it into the business day to day.
- She shares that her work really revolves around working with the whole team of a company. Delegating tasks and deciding how to best move the company forward.
- One of the most important questions you can ask yourself as an entrepreneur is: What can I delegate?
- Emily shares how important it is to hire other people to help in your business. You need to be able to give up a little control in order to grow.
- Having a plan is so so important. Allow yourself the space and time to have this come to you. It doesn’t happen overnight, so give yourself time to think and dream big in your business.
- Track your progress by month. I shared earlier how Emily says to write out your goals (by year, quarter, and month) and one of her key takeaways is to make sure to track this progress. Every month ask yourself if you hit the goals you set out to, and if not, make sure you know why, and how to accomplish it. The key is to always stay on track.
- Emily shares that giving ourselves time to think is a crucial part of gaining clarity in our business. Simple time to think of what we need and how to get there is the only way we will. You don’t want to always just be answering the questions, and in the meetings. You need to take a step back sometimes to give yourself that perspective to get it done, and answer those questions for yourself.
- (2:10) A little more about Emily Allen.
- (2:48) What the heck is a virtual COO?
- (3:40) How does Emily help entrepreneurs start systematizing their businesses?
- (5:03) What kind of income level is she working with? Who needs a COO?
- (8:18) Has Emily ever gotten stuck being in the business instead of just the overseer?
- (9:10) How long does Emily work with each client? Months? Years?
- (11:02) What is a big roadblock Emily has seen entrepreneurs hit?
- (13:09) What does Emily document? (And examples of systems Emily uses)
- (15:07) What is something that is non-negotiable to have a scaleable business?
- (18:42) How to get to the end result of even just one goal.
- (19:03) What are things we should be doing to gain more clarity in our businesses?
- (19:32) The power of a day off.
- (21:02) What is one of the best books Emily has ever read?
- (22:41) What does it mean to Emily to make an impact?
- (23:12) What is next for Emily?
“Less stress, more progress.”
“That central person in the business is making a lot of decisions”
“You can either have control, or you can have growth. But you can’t have both things”
“If I come into your business, would I know what to do?”
“It doesn’t have to be perfect, just get something on paper to get people started”
“What you measure, you improve upon”
“It’s okay to ask for help”
Connect with Emily:
Facebook: Emily Allen
Other Resources and Books from the Episode:
The Twelve Week Year: Brian P. Moran
Watch the Full Interview
Thanks so much for Listening! Comment below with your #1 takeaway!
To help out our show I would love it if you subscribed and leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help the show and I read every single one!
Listen to Episode 41 (First Steps on Starting a Business, and How to Take it to the Next Level with Helen Munshi)
Listen to Episode 42 (How To Get In Front of MORE People and Build An Influential Online Brand with Erika Ashley)
Listen to Episode 43 (Talking Money Mindset with Intuitive Business Coach Emily Aarons)
Listen to Episode 44 (Uncovering the Next Evolution of Your Brand Message with Adria Decorte)