Episode 49 Show Notes
Today I’m interviewing Nathan Hirsch! He is a 29 year old serial entrepreneur and expert in remote hiring and eCommerce. He started his first eCommerce business out of his college dorm room and has sold over $30 million online. He is now the co-founder and CEO of FreeeUp.com, a marketplace where business owners can request, and get introduced to freelancers across the world! We talk all about how to hire your first freelancer, and the best ways to start building your team. Enjoy!
- Nathan shares that when he got to college, he started trying different entrepreneurial ventures. Before he knew it he had lines out his door of people trying to sell him their used text books. This was his first glimpse of being an entrepreneur.
- Nathan knew quickly he needed to hire his first employee. He says it took up so much time to try to find someone to employ. This sparked his company, FreeUp!
- Nathan says that entrepreneurs should be focused on high level work. Decide what you’re not good at, and that is what you should outsource. Truthfully, we aren’t all good at everything. It’s so important to hone in on what it is we’re not good at, and get those jobs outsourced to people who are!
- It’s important to identify who your perfect person you wish to hire is. If you don’t identify it first, it’s nearly impossible that you’ll be able to find a good fit, because you won’t know what you’re looking for when it comes time to interview people.
- Always be trying to improve your interview process.
- Standard Operating Procedures are SO IMPORTANT. This means anyone can walk into your business and things are set up and ready to go. This makes changes in employees easy. Be sure these Procedures are up to date.
- Is it better to hire one person? Or multiple? Nathan says that only hiring one person can really set your business back. Let’s say they quit, or need time off: you need to protect your business so you can diversify your business so you can grow, and not be set back.
- Nathan says that as an early on entrepreneur, block out the noise. You shouldn’t worry about what people are saying about your business, or their criticism. You can’t please everyone, just focus on your passion and stick with it!
- (1:46) A little more about Nathan.
- (2:50) Nathan first glimpse of being an entrepreneur in college.
- (3:48) His accountant ask him when he was going to hire his first employee.
- (4:59) What is FreeUp, and how does it work?
- (6:34) When does Nathan think is the right time to start hiring for your business?
- (7:30) How to decide what you should get off your plate, what to outsource.
- (8:39) Benefits of hiring freelancers vs. employees?
- (10:27) How does Nathan find the right people for the tasks he wants to outsource?
- (13:02) What is an SOP?
- (13:58) How to combat communication issues.
- (15:24) Where are freelancers on FreeUp from?
- (17:01) One freelancer for everything? Or multiple freelancers for the tasks?
- (18:48) What should you focus on as a business owner? Low risk, high reward.
- (20:07) Two of the biggest mistakes Nathan has made in his time as an entrepreneur.
- (20:35) Nathan’s advice for a young entrepreneur.
- (21:43) What does it mean for Nathan to make an impact?
- (23:02) What’s next for Nathan?
“If you don’t have a budget for ongoing work, hire for project based”
“I didn’t just wake up one morning and hire 40 people, I slowly built up”
“There is no right or wrong way to go about hiring”
“If you let someone in, set your expectations up front”
“If people spend more time figuring out what that perfect person looks like, and setting expectations before that work starts…thats how you have a better long term hiring experience”
“There’s no substitute for seeing someone in real time”
“Focus on as many low risk high rewards situations as you can”
“The more you do it, the easier it gets”
Connect with Nathan:
FreeeUp Website (Mention podcast for 25% off!)
Watch Full Interview:
Thanks so much for Listening! Comment below with your #1 takeaway!
To help out our show I would love it if you subscribed and leave an honest review on iTunes. Your ratings and reviews really help the show and I read every single one!
Listen to Episode 41 (First Steps on Starting a Business, and How to Take it to the Next Level with Helen Munshi)
Listen to Episode 42 (How To Get In Front of MORE People and Build An Influential Online Brand with Erika Ashley)
Listen to Episode 43 (Talking Money Mindset with Intuitive Business Coach Emily Aarons)
Listen to Episode 44 (Uncovering the Next Evolution of Your Brand Message with Adria Decorte)